what should I expect on the first day of chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JudiB

Re: what should I expect on the first day of chemo?

Postby JudiB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 am

Tdubz
Great news to share with your family, must be a big relief. A third of the way.. a milestone!
Most important thing is to try to focus on the positives.....this is just a little detour in our lives, which, hopefully, will soon be just a memory, reminding us how lucky we have been dicing with this stuff!!
Bring on those coloscopies!!! 8) 8) :lol:
May 2004 Breast cancer lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen 5 years, then Femara 2 years.

Jan 2017 resection around colo-rectal junction
T2bN1 M0
March 2017 Chemo Folfox started
June 2017 clear scan

benben

Re: what should I expect on the first day of chemo?

Postby benben » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:36 am

Tdubz wrote:Hopefully the shot works for you and you don't have to delay treatment. How low did your WBC counts have to go for them to give you a shot?

My Neutrophil count was 1.05 at day 14 after first treatment (2nd infusion day). Bottom line for my clinic is 1.0 to do treatment, and they are aggressive - normal counts are 1.9-7.4.
Typically by day 14 they should be back close to normal range, mine weren't. So Neupogen boost was deemed required. During Nadir, those counts can be extremely low. So it's important they are up prior to treatment.
I had first injection yesterday. Relatively non-eventful, thankfully. It's a shot that really stings going in. So RN did a good job at pre-warming and slowly injecting. I took claritan as suggested to minimize bone pain which is the most common side effect. So far haven't really experienced any of that. Go in for second shot today and we'll see tomorrow what the results are on the WBC. If back up it'll be a go for 3rd treatment, if not probably have to postpone for a week.

Happy 33.33% point to you.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 LAR - 8" section removed - 2" rectum/6" sigmoid colon - Straight anastomosis - no temp ostomy.
Pathology - Stage IIIb / 1/28 lymphnodes - well differentiated
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
6/6 folfox - second treatment. WBC=ANC 1050 after first treatment.
6/18 & 6/19 Granix shots to boost WBC
6/20 - 3rd treatment delayed WBC-ANC 420

Scheduled
6/22 folfox - 3rd treatment retry - Reducing folfox 10%

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”