Contrast Dye question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ConnieSPK
Facebook Username: Connie Perkins Kreienheder

Contrast Dye question

Postby ConnieSPK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:53 am

It contrast dye spills/leaks outside the body, such that you find yourself laying in it.......will the CT possibly detect any of the dye outside the body? Does anyone know?

Connie K.
Dx08@54,StgIV Colon,Liver,Lung, ColonSurg,FOLFOX+Beva
09 LiverSurg
10 FOLFIRI+Beva
11 FOLFOX+Beva,ox reaction
12 Bi-lat LungVATS
13 New mets L lung FOLFIRI+Zaltrap,5FU reaction
14 Return mets L lung SBRT,successful
15 Lung Spots, Irinotecan

vilca11
Location: Moscow, Russia; Baltimore, USA 1992; Vilcabamba, Ecuador 2012

Re: Contrast Dye question

Postby vilca11 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:16 am

Wow!!! Laying in contrast... Montana medical centers have some new approach to Radiology exams... :)

CRguy most probably knows, since he does operate on animals and often surgeries might be done under the fluro guidance, same as for humans... if he does not see your post, send him a PM... I do not know the answer, but would assume that CT would not be able to see contrast outside the body...

Hugs, vilca
11/2005 CC stage 1, F,50yo@dx
Mod dif adenocar, MSS, APC, TP53, CEAs1.6-4.8
1/12 1met liver@Vena Cava, RFA, 3oxi,11 5FU
8/13 2 mets same place,SBRT
4/14 2 Xeliri+Avastin
5/14 Nano Knife liver same 2 mets
6/14 2 Xeliri, ADAPT
4/15 PET, 2 same mets,Cryo Liver
5/15 MJ Oil, Herbs, Suppl, ADAPT
10/15 PET, same area, doubled in size, high SUV
10/15 RH, HAI, visceral involv., no LN
2/16 red FF, 50% red dose FUDR, CEA trends up
3/16 CT, PET, MRI L.Lobe all in small tumors
4/16 No acceptable options, going home

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:25 am

If it's not one thing it's another. I just noticed on your sig you have a couple new spots? I'm sorry to hear about that frustrating to say the least. Any plan for those?

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:22 pm

ConnieSPK
So sorry this happen to you ! It just shows more incompetent people . There is always something. That stinks!
Dx@45 stage t3 n1b m unknown IIIB
Resected in 8/2010 rectosigmoid
5.5 tumor with 3 /26 lymph nodes
Lymph vascular invasion
Folfox sept 2010 to feb 2011
10 tx only stopped due to low wbc

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:31 pm

vilca11 wrote:Wow!!! Laying in contrast... Montana medical centers have some new approach to Radiology exams... :)

Well, I don't even know if they have a ct scanner in montana :shock: Missouri is where the controversial dye bath was performed.

ConnieSPK

Postby ConnieSPK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:12 pm

Yeah Kenny, a couple of new spots, too small to biopsy (not that I'd bother), so we're "watching" them, next CT in May. Regular (chemoguy) oncologist says if the spots grow, he thinks we probably should go back to chemo and I think he's a fan of the " ***imabs" drugs which I've avoided until now. However, he also said I could do Irino w/avastin again too (yipee!). Anyway, my 6 month checkback with the Radiation oncologist was this week, so Chemo Onc also said to see what he said also. Rad Onc says if it's still just 2 little spots in May, then we can SBRT them if that's my preference....Hallelujah!. You know my feelings about chemo, so I'm happy there will likely be another option at this point. Really annoying that the right lung had been clear for 2 years.

Anyway, my last ct, the cap blew on the line going to my power port, so I ended up laying in contrast dye, it ran behind my back and up behind my head, like coca-cola dried in your hair....When I got up, the table was pink from my wine colored shirt and my previously white undergarment is now permanently pink. I guess if there's nothing to uptake/concentrate the dye outside the body, it wouldn't be strong enough to show up. I just think it odd that this new pair of spots are practically symmetrical (although my original spots back in 2008 looked like a Rorschach test).

Regards,

Connie K.
09 LiverSurg
10 FOLFIRI+Beva
12 Bi-lat LungVATS

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:17 pm

So Connie, would that be sbrt round three? I feel like I have a little weeziness from mine. Do you have any side effects from it? Hell, at least it's only two! Right?

Carolinabluetec

Postby Carolinabluetec » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:55 pm

ConnieSPK wrote:It contrast dye spills/leaks outside the body, such that you find yourself laying in it.......will the CT possibly detect any of the dye outside the body? Does anyone know?

Connie K.

Yes, but when they see the scan, they will know it is outside your body (I suppose it was on your back and butt).
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

ConnieSPK

Postby ConnieSPK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:02 pm

kennytwisted wrote:So Connie, would that be sbrt round three? I feel like I have a little weeziness from mine. Do you have any side effects from it? Hell, at least it's only two! Right?

Technically, yes, I guess. Last summer I had a a spot that came back after chemo and caused me rib pain (turns out, it broke the rib). The Rad Onc also found another little spot that just took a few treatments. The returning bugger took a month of hits daily. I also have what they refer to as exertional asthma, so I'm wheezy once in awhile anyway, but not often. I didn't notice any difference after the SBRT last year. I know I'm playing "whack-a-mole", but I'm just following my instincts at this point.....chemo is never going to make it stay away for me (it hasn't in 7 years, anyway), but zapping the damn the damn things "might" (that's a very cautious "might")....plus I had a fortune teller tell me when I was 19 that she saw me having health problems down the road, but that it would turn out all right in the end.....so it must not be the end yet ;-) Don't laugh about the fortune teller, it was a "phase" we went through (aunts and cousins). She ended up being right about so many details over my 61 year life....many that I forgot about until they occurred, so no "self-fulfilling" prophecies here.

Connie K.
09 LiverSurg
10 FOLFIRI+Beva
12 Bi-lat LungVATS

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:58 pm

ConnieSPK wrote:Anyway, my last ct, the cap blew on the line going to my power port, so I ended up laying in contrast dye, it ran behind my back and up behind my head, like coca-cola dried in your hair....When I got up, the table was pink from my wine colored shirt and my previously white undergarment is now permanently pink.

The things we go through for our CRC stuff :shock:

Iodinated CT contrasts would register on the scan if there were sufficient quantities in the path of the beam and the detectors .... BUTT I cannot see why a competent radiologist would not pick that up if the images were not of diagnostic quality ????

Another option : the IV contrast is only injected during certain parts of the scan (IME), with only saline running thru the line for most of the time you are lying on the table before and after the scans. They don't run the contrast continuously the whole time you are on the table .... SO possibly it was only the IV fluid and stain from clothing which caused most of the mess and relatively little actual iodinated contrast was involved in the toxic waste spill ???

Here's hoping you get to go with the good plan !

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

ConnieSPK

Postby ConnieSPK » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi CRGuy,

From what I understand, the contrast dye injector they used is under pressure designed to work sort of automatically with a power port....things didn't start leaking/flooding me until the cap blew off the IV line and from what the tech said, none of it went into me because he wasn't seeing it on the scan yet....of course, as soon as it started leaking, I tried to alert him as he headed back in the "other room", and for some reason, he didn't hear me....it was icky

Connie K.
09 LiverSurg
10 FOLFIRI+Beva
12 Bi-lat LungVATS

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”